As with all schools, the academy has a dress code that all students are expected to follow. There is an emphasis on being clean, tidy and presentable. Our dress code is unique, but practical, and allows a choice within very clear boundaries.
The academy offers financial support to purchase the compulsory aspects of the uniform.
Year 7 – compulsory uniform
- Students must wear an academy jacket with an academy polo shirt.
- Students must wear full length black trousers or black box pleated skirt / shalwar or plain black kameez and tunic / blouse with the academy polo shirt and jacket over the top.
- Students must wear trousers that are not fully elasticated – the trousers must not be ‘tight’. The top button of the polo shirt must always be done up.
- Black trousers should be black and tailored; jeans / tracksuits / leggings / very flared trousers / very tight trousers / knee length trousers are not considered appropriate wear. Jeans are defined as trousers with patch pockets and rivets. Trousers should not trail on the floor.
- Ankle socks or tights must be worn irrespective of the type of shoe selected; they must be plain black.
- Hijabs, scarves, turbans, crowns and top knots, worn for religious reasons, must be plain (with no additional design / embellishment) black and well secured.
- Shoes must be sensible and entirely plain black, (not dark brown), laces must be fastened and be plain black. All shoes should be flat. Trainers or pumps are not acceptable. Boots, heeled or flat, are also unacceptable. If a student is wearing the wrong footwear, their family will be contacted to bring the correct footwear into school and the student will be asked to change into academy footwear.
- The soles and the upper part of the shoe must be black. There must be no additional design / embellishment in any colour / metal.
- Any student wearing jewellery, other than a suitable plain watch (small and not a fashion item or smartwatch / fitness tracker), will be asked to instantly remove it. This item will be confiscated until an appropriate adult can collect it. The only exception to this is where there is a compulsory religious expectation, for example, the Sikh Kara.
- All facial jewellery (or visible body-piercing including earrings, nose studs) is not allowed.
- Make up, if worn, should be entirely discreet. No nail varnish, gel or acrylic nails at any time.
- Hair must be appropriate to a place of work, i.e., no unusual styles or colours, shavings or patterns. Hair must have a natural hairline with no undercutting or ‘fashion’ styles (such as ‘lines’, patterns or ‘cat scratches’). It must be styled professionally. Hair must be of a natural colour.
- Students are allowed one plain black hair accessory. A student may be asked to tie hair back for health and safety reasons. Hair bands should be plain black, no other hair ornament is necessary.
- Eyebrows should be natural with no modifications or shavings (such as ‘slits’).
- Belts, if worn, should be plain black and not worn as a ‘fashion statement’ over jackets and polo shirts. ‘Fashion’ belt buckles are unacceptable.
- Hats and caps need to be removed before entering the building.
- When it is extremely cold or wet, we understand that a sensible winter coat may be appropriate as the outermost layer. At such times, it is not necessary to place the academy jacket over the top. This will only apply if the winter coat is more suitable than the academy jacket; it should be dark in colour and only when permission has been granted by the academy.
- In the summer months or when the weather is hot, students may opt to wear plain black trouser shorts.
Year 7 – compulsory PE kit
- Students must wear the academy PE t-shirt.
- Students must wear the academy PE shorts.
- Students must wear the academy PE socks.
Year 7 – optional PE kit
- In extremely cold or wet weather, students may opt to wear the academy zipped training top and jogging bottoms.
- In extremely cold or wet weather, a winter coat is acceptable when permission has been granted by
- In extremely hot weather, plain black trouser shorts are acceptable when permission has been granted by the academy.
- Alternative hoodies or sports tops are never permitted.
Where to purchase the academy uniform: (available from July / August 2023)
For all academy issued uniform items (jacket, polo shirt and PE kit), you can purchase them directly from:
2b Hale Top, Civic Centre,
M22 5RN, UK
Tel: 0161 498 0200
For other items of uniform, that do not include the academy branding, parents may choose to purchase
these items from Debonair, or other locations, as necessary.
To avoid embarrassment or unnecessary cost, if a student or parent is in any doubt about a hairstyle, or the purchase of an item of clothing, they should speak with their Senior Leadership Team link before going ahead. Students will be asked to rectify any hairstyle, or replace any clothing at their expense, that is perceived to be unsuitable for school. Henna should never be visible. All students are strongly advised to label all items of clothing. We welcome your co-operation in maintaining the smart appearance of the academy students.
For further information about the academy’s uniform, please refer to the Family Handbook here or contact the academy.
|Clarity on Uniform (PDF)|